Tuesday 15 May 2018

Localtrotting: Dark Sugars

As I am no longer a London girl and instead situated in a beautiful market town in the East Midlands where the abundance of scenic nature marks the shortage of desserts places (holding back tears), I couldn’t help but reminiscence over one of the BEST hot chocolates I have ever had. This is the stuff of legends – pure indulgent liquid cocoa. What you envision the chocolate fountain in Willy Wonka’s factory tasting of!

 Behold, I present to you Dark Sugars of Brick Lane.


This is one of those places that I’ve been meaning to go to in the longest time ever, but never quite got the chance. While the hubby could down hot chocolate pretty much every single day, I on the other hand really have to be in the mood for a hot beverage and to be entirely honest, it never is my go-to when I’m on the hunt for a delicious treat. Alas, how things change when the right hot chocolate comes into your life!

Last winter seemed the perfect time to sample Dark Sugars while the husband and I were on one of our many food excursions in East London. Since it was a bitterly cold evening and wanting to end the meal on a sweet note, we decided to take the plunge and shell out £5.50 for a cup of hazelnut praline hot chocolate to share – words of advice: this is not the type of hot chocolate that you let anyone near, let alone share.


What really makes this hot chocolate is the crowning glory of chocolate shards that are sliced by hand and piled into the cup of molten chocolate. But advance with caution, as this influx of chocolate splinters causes the hot chocolate to erupt slightly and trickle over the cup.

It takes a moment to strategise as to how exactly it should be drunk. Realising that if I didn’t take my chance, the hot chocolate would all end up in the belly of my beloved husband, I threw caution to the wind and took a small sip, ignoring the sticky trail making its way down my hand. No words can express the sensation of liquid cocoa running down your throat other than utter pure, indulgence!

There was nothing powdery, artificial or sickly about the drink, and while the flavour of hazelnut and praline was subtle, the star of the show is definitely the chocolate – good quality Ghanaian chocolate. 

Unfortunately, I do not have a single photo of this little cup of luxury, so you’ll just have to use the power of your imagination (and a little assistance from Google) to visualise.


I definitely recommend visiting the shop if you're ever in the area. The chocolates that are displayed are really breathtaking and far too pretty to eat, but certainly Instagram worthy! 

 Even five months later, the mere mention of Dark Sugars brings a besotted smile to our faces, and if anyone didn’t know any better, they would have thought me and hubby we were reminiscing about our first few meetings or our wedding day – nope, it’s hot chocolate from Dark Sugars!!

No comments :

Post a Comment